FAQ - Borrowing books (collections)

How can I borrow a book, a journal or other collections?

After finding the document in catalogue you should check its location.

  •     Books with location “BG-Magazyn” (call numbers with roman numerals) should be requests on-line, after having logged in.
  •     Books with location “BG-Strefa Wolnego Dostępu ” (call numbers with letter W) you can borrow by yourself only in the Open Stacks Zone (ground floor, hall) without necessity of requesting them earlier..
  •     Current journals (published during present year) are available in the Main Reading Room (room 108).
  •     Other journals may be requested by filling green-striped order slips up.
  •     Standards and patents requests should be done in Patents and Standards Reading Room (room 317).
  •     Map requests can be done in Cartographic Reading Room (room 317) and may be collected momentarily.

Where can I collect requested books?

Ordered books can be collected in the Lending Room (ground floor, hall) during opening hours.

Why can't I renew the book I borrowed?

There may be four reasons:

  • Your library account is or soon will be inactive. 
  • The borrowed book has been requested by another user.
  • On-line renewals' limit has been reached.
  • The book is already overdue.

In each of these cases one should report to the Lending Room (ground floor, hall) fetching the books and one's library card or Electronic Student Card (ELS).

Where can I request checked-out book (how to make a reservation)?

One can make a reservation for a books with location “BG-Magazyn Podstawowy” which have „Due date” status. Such a request can be done by librarian on duty in Catalogue Information (hall, ground floor). You should have your library card and book's call number prepared.

How can I request book from the Open Stacks Zone?

Books with location “BG-Strefa Wolnego Dostępu” (call numbers starting with letter W), formerly BG-Magazyn W, you can borrow by yourself only in the Open Stacks Zone (ground floor, hall) without necessity of requesting them earlier.

What does „Non-Circulating” and „Na wydziale” status mean?

„Non-Circulating” status means that documents are available only on site in the Reading Rooms. "Na wydziale" status means that document belongs to collection of the faculty library and you should ask there about its availability.

Can I borrow in the Main Library books from faculty library?

It’s not possible. Books from faculty libraries may be borrowed from those libraries only.

Can checked out books be returned by my friend instead of me?

For returning books your presence isn't necessary. Books may be returned by anyone and the person doesn't have to have user's library card.

Can someone renew books for me?

You can renew books by yourself up to five times, using on-line catalogue. In case of need for further renewals you or a person you have entitled to do so must present borrowed books in the Lending Room (ground floor).

Is it possible to return books by posting them?

One may return books sending them to:

Biblioteka Główna AGH
al. Mickiewicza 30
30-059 Kraków

How long will I have to wait for requested book or journal?

Requests for books and journals from the storage are realized at every full hour. Waiting time is up to 60 minutes.

I haven't received book I had requested. Why and what should I do now?

Rejected order slips are kept in Catalogue Information (hall, ground floor), where you can obtain information about the reason of not getting your order.

What shall I do if I had lost a book?

You should report this in the Lending Room (ground floor) as soon as possible.

What is a fee for overdue books?

The fee for overdue books is 0,20 PLN for each day.

Where can I pay the fee for overdue books (what account can I pay it on)?

The fee can be paid only in cash in the library's cash desk (ground, floor, room 6) after having overdue books returned.

Can I borrow a book which is on exhibition of Polish or foreign books?

Books placed on exhibition can not be borrwed. However, providing your account is active, you can make a reservation for them or view them in the Reference Department Reading Room.

May I borrow books if I had finished studies and returned my student’s record book but I still write my thesis?

There is possibility to keep valid one’s library account until the master’s degree exam. Detailed information may be obtain in the Lending Room.

What should I do if the book I need isn’t in the library’s collection or in other Cracovian libraries?

You should report to Interlibrary Loans (room 109).

How to search and order journals?

Journals may be found in on-line catalogue or in card catalogue and can be requested on green-striped order slip. You may ask for assistance a librarian on duty at the Information Desk in the catalogue room.

Are high schools students allowed to borrow books and journals?

High schools students may use the collections on site only.

Can I borrow maps, for example, for one day?

Maps are available only on site in the  Standards, Patents and Cartographic Collection Reading Room (2nd floor, room 213).

Are digital maps available?

Only paper maps are available.

Where in the library can I find maps?

You can find maps in the Standards, Patents and Cartographic Collection Reading Room (2nd floor, room 213).

Can I copy, scan or take a photo of maps?

It is allowed to copy fragments of map using various methods, however copying the entire map  is not permitted.